Simmons lifts Tennessee over AuburnJan 18, 2013 - 4:58 AM
Simmons scored 18 of her 29 points in the final 12 minutes and finished 10- of-14 from the field, including a 4-of-6 effort from 3-point range.
Taber Spani and Ariel Massengale chipped in 12 and 11 points, respectively for Tennessee (14-3, 5-0 SEC), which has won seven straight overall and five in a row against Auburn.
The Tigers (13-5, 2-3) were 9-0 at home coming in and had all five starters score in double figures, but it wasn't enough in suffering their third loss in four games. Hasina Muhammad and Blanche Alverson each netted 15 points in a losing cause.
The Lady Vols trailed 45-33 early in the second half before embarking on a 16-2 run to take their first lead since making the first basket of the game.
Simmons scored a remarkable nine points in a matter of 71 seconds, first converting a three-point play then hitting twice from behind the arc in a three-possession span before a Kamiko Williams' layup at the midway point gave Tennessee a 49-47 edge.
Auburn scored the next six points, only to be answered by seven straight for Tennessee, which pulled away down the stretch via an 11-1 flurry, which was highlighted by another Simmons trifecta.
- TENNESSEE: 75
Jan 17 11:08 PM
- TENNESSEE: 27
Jan 17 9:52 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 17 9:07 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21