No. 1 Baylor cruises past WVU to lengthen streakJan 20, 2013 - 3:51 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner posted game highs of 26 points and 15 rebounds to lead top-ranked Baylor to a 76-58 victory over West Virginia in a Big 12 encounter from the Ferrell Center.
Griner added nine blocked shots and went 11-of-17 from the field in an all- around dominant performance that helped extend the Lady Bears' Big 12-record win streak to 28 games against conference foes in regular-season play. They've won 49 in a row at home overall to extend the nation's longest streak.
Odyssey Sims added 15 points and seven assists for Baylor (16-1, 6-0 Big 12), which has now ripped off 14 straight victories since a two-point loss to Stanford on Nov. 16. Kimetria Hayden chipped in 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting in the triumph.
West Virginia (11-6, 3-3) had a string of three straight wins snapped despite a 25-point, seven-rebound effort from Christal Caldwell. Taylor Palmer finished with 14 points and Crystal Leary grabbed 11 rebounds in the loss.
Palmer opened the contest with a 3-pointer, but that would be the only lead the Mountaineers would hold on the evening. Baylor responded with a 20-2 run over the next eight minutes, and was never seriously threatened thereafter.
West Virginia brought the deficit under double-digits with a 6-0 spurt that began with back-to-back layups from Caldwell, closing within 20-11 with 10:40 to go in the half. The Mountaineers shot just 27.8 percent for the period, however, and trailed 40-24 at the break after the Lady Bears' Makenzie Robertson buried a trey 51 seconds prior to intermission.
Baylor stayed in control during the entire second half, maintaining a differential of at least 14 points and breaking the game open with a 10-0 run highlighted by a pair of triples from Hayden that made the score 70-42 with five minutes remaining.
With her nine blocks, Griner now has a Big 12 record 651 career blocks; 12 shy of Louella Tomlinson's (Saint Mary's (Calif.]) NCAA Division I record of 663.
- WEST VIRGINIA: 58
Jan 19 10:06 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 24
Jan 19 8:53 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 19 8:16 PM
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19