Diggins scores 2,000th point as No. 2 Notre Dame cruisesJan 26, 2013 - 8:49 PM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins posted a game-high 21 points on 9-of-10 shooting from the field en route to becoming just the fourth Notre Dame women's basketball player to record 2,000 career points, as the second- ranked Fighting Irish crushed Providence, 89-44, Saturday at Purcell Pavilion.
Diggins, who needed just one point for 2,000 in her heralded career, fittingly broke the barrier just four seconds into the game on a fastbreak layup. She is also the first player in program history since 2001 to hit the 2,000 point mark.
Tori Rule led Providence (6-13, 1-5 Big East) with 12 points and five rebounds. The Friars have now lost five of their last six.
The Fighting Irish (18-1, 7-0) led comfortably, 46-15, at the break and never eased up in the second half to remain unbeaten in conference play while picking up their 13th straight victory.
Natalie Achonwa recorded a double-double with 14 points and 12 boards in the win.
- Providence hires St. Bonaventure's Crowley as women's coach May 10
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6