Diggins leads Notre Dame past TennesseeJan 29, 2013 - 3:43 AM
Jewell Loyd followed with 10 points and six rebounds for the Fighting Irish (19-1), who captured their 14th straight victory. Kayla McBride added nine points and 10 assists in the win.
Bashaara Graves led the Lady Volunteers (16-4) with 19 points and 13 rebounds, but Tennessee was unable to keep a nine-game winning streak going. Taber Spani contributed 12 points and eight rebounds, while Meighan Simmons scored 11 in the setback.
McBride hit a 3-pointer late in first half before Michaela Mabrey added a score just prior to halftime to put the Fighting Irish ahead 33-29.
Notre Dame then quickly created double-digit separation five minutes into the second half, with Diggins scoring 10 points during a 21-8 surge to put the Fighting Irish on top 54-37.
Tennessee trailed by as many as 19 before coming as close as 69-64 on a Spani free throw. However, the Fighting Irish ran off six straight points to go back ahead by 11 and they cruised to victory from there.
- NOTRE DAME: 77
Jan 28 9:06 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 33
Jan 28 7:49 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 28 7:05 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24