Lady Vols stymie Mississippi State in lopsided winFeb 1, 2013 - 2:26 AM Tennessee clamped down defensively on Mississippi State in an 88-45 victory at Thompson-Boling Arena on Thursday.
Taber Spani chipped in 15 points, while Kamiko Williams filled the stat sheet with 10 points, 13 rebounds, six steals and six assists for the Lady Vols (17-4, 8-0 SEC), who rebounded from a home loss to Notre Dame by holding the Bulldogs to 32 percent shooting.
Mississippi State (9-12, 1-7) snapped a six-game losing streak with a win over Ole Miss on Sunday, but watched the Lady Vols score the first 10 points of the game and 15 of the last 17 of the half to fall behind, 42-18, at the break.
The Bulldogs never seriously threatened in the second half and fell to 0-34 all-time against the conference front-runners.
Martha Alwal scored a team-high 16 points in defeat.
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 45
Jan 31 9:04 PM
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 18
Jan 31 7:53 PM
- MISSISSIPPI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 31 7:08 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- UConn advances with record rout, beats Miss State 98-38 Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Mississippi St.-UConn Preview Mar 26
- Mississippi State set to take on top-seed UConn Mar 26
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24