Penn State downs Purdue to take top spot in Big Ten standingsFeb 5, 2013 - 2:52 AM
Alex Bentley scored 13 points and Mia Nickson registered 11 points and three steals for the Lady Lions (18-3, 8-1 Big Ten), who now hold the top seed in the Big Ten standings. Penn State came into the game off a loss against Wisconsin, its first since Dec. 6 against Connecticut.
Courtney Moses had a game-high 21 points and Drey Mingo added 13 points for the Boilermakers (18-4, 7-2), who had won three in a row. Taylor Manuel registered 10 points and seven rebounds off the bench.
Penn State led the entire game and didn't let up. By halftime, it had a 34-23 advantage.
With 13:35 left in regulation, the Lady Lions held a 46-37 lead when a layup by Manuel started a 11-4 run for the Boilermakers. With under nine minutes to go, Purdue cut the deficit to 52-50.
Both teams traded blows over the next four minutes. After a 3-pointer by Lucas, Purdue's K.K. Houser fired back with a 3-point shot of her own to bring it within 55-53 with eight minutes to play. Mingo's layup brought the Boilermakers within two again before Penn State's Nikki Greene answered with a layup of her own.
However, Penn State went on a 10-0 run and led 67-55 with under two minutes to go. Greene scored six points during the swing.
Purdue had a 6-0 run over the next forty seconds, but with just 1:15 left, the game was out of reach. Bentley made the final shot with 51 seconds remaining.
- PURDUE: 61
PENN STATE: 69
Feb 4 9:04 PM
- PURDUE: 23
PENN STATE: 34
Feb 4 7:58 PM
- PURDUE: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 4 7:03 PM
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- No. 5 Maryland never trails in 73-59 win over Purdue Feb 11
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough scores 41, No. 5 Maryland women beat Purdue Feb 2
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- Powers, No. 18 Michigan State women beat Purdue 68-56 Jan 27
- Mitchell scores 27 to lift No. 5 Ohio State over Purdue Jan 17