Penn State overcomes slow start to down Michigan StateFeb 10, 2013 - 9:32 PM Penn State overcame a slow start to top Michigan State, 71-56, at Bryce Jordan Center.
Maggie Lucas added 19 points and five rebounds, while Nikki Greene finished with 13 points and six boards for the Lady Lions (20-3, 10-1 Big Ten), who have won 18 straight at home.
Annalise Pickrel was the lone member of Michigan State (18-5, 6-4) to score in double figures with 16 points as the Spartans had their two-game win streak snapped.
Michigan State controlled the early action by racing out to a 20-11 lead on Becca Mills' 3-pointer with 7 1/2 minutes left in the first half, but Penn State took over from there, closing out the frame with a 21-7 run to take a 32-27 edge into the break.
The Lady Lions then carried that momentum into the second half as Lucas connected on a pair of triples during an opening 21-7 trek to jump ahead, 53-34, with just over 12 minutes to play.
Michigan State trailed by double digits from there until Pickrel later connected on a pair of 3-pointers during a 10-3 push to get back within, 62-54, with just under four minutes to play.
Penn State, however, netted the game's next seven points to reopen a 15-point lead with 1:15 remaining and cruised to the victory.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 56
PENN STATE: 71
Feb 10 4:00 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 32
PENN STATE: 27
Feb 10 2:51 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 10 2:04 PM
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24