No. 6 Cal holds off ArizonaFeb 10, 2013 - 10:57 PM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Gennifer Brandon recorded her 13th double- double of the season with 22 points and 14 rebounds as sixth-ranked Cal edged Arizona, 91-86 on Sunday.
Talia Caldwell also registered a double-double with a career-high 20 points and 12 boards and Layshia Clarendon contributed 20 points for the Golden Bears (21-2, 11-1 Pac-12), who extended their winning streak to nine games.
Davellyn Whyte had a season-high 26 points, to go along with seven rebounds and eight assists for the Wildcats (11-12, 3-9), who have lost seven straight. Kama Griffitts poured in 21 points and nailed five 3-pointers in the defeat.
Whyte's free throws 4 1/2 minutes into the contest gave the Wildcats a 15-12 edge before Cal surged back with a 17-4 run. Brandon's lay-in with just under 10 minutes to play in the half capped off the flurry and made it 29-19.
The first half action didn't slow down, as both team's kept up the intensity on offense. Each squad shot over 50 percent, while Cal held a 46-37 advantage at the break.
As the lead stayed around 10 points early in the second half, Erica Barnes' free throws brought the visitors within 53-49. The Bears scored the next eight points, however, as Afure Jemerigbe's triple increased the margin to 61-49.
Cal continued to keep its advantage until Griffitts 3-pointer with 27 seconds remaining made it 90-86. The Bears only made 1-of-4 from the charity stripe over the final 18 seconds, but Arizona couldn't capitalize.
- ARIZONA: 86
Feb 10 5:09 PM
- ARIZONA: 37
Feb 10 3:52 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 10 3:08 PM
- Arizona hires Barnes as next women's basketball coach Apr 4
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- Billings leads No. 12 UCLA past Arizona 72-51. Mar 4
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Jones leads Arizona women past Oregon 74-68 in Pac-12 Mar 3
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Arizona splits with women's basketball coach Niya Butts Mar 1
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Cooks lifts Washington State women over Arizona 62-61 Feb 21
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Arizona 82-58 Feb 13
- No. 14 UCLA women ease by Arizona 73-39 Feb 7