No. 8 Lady Lions down Hawkeyes for fourth straight victoryFeb 15, 2013 - 4:17 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas had a game-high 21 points on 3- of-6 shooting from behind the arc and Ariel Edwards scored 15 points off the bench to push No. 8 Penn State past Iowa, 81-69, on Thursday.
Alex Bentley donated 14 points and dished out four assists and Mia Nickson had 11 points for the Lady Lions (21-3, 11-1 Big Ten), who have won four straight and 15 of their last 16 contests overall.
Morgan Johnson registered a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds and Melissa Dixon scored 16 points for the Hawkeyes (16-10, 5-7), who have dropped five straight.
The visitors took a 37-34 edge after the first 20 minutes of play.
Lucas nailed a jumper almost eight minutes into the second half which increased Penn State's margin to 51-40, capping off a 14-2 surge.
Two Nickson free throws with 8:13 remaining grew the lead to 15 points before Dara Taylor pushed the lead to 21 points with a fast break layup three minutes later, for a 75-54 advantage. The Lady Lions held on for the victory the rest of the way.
Lucas now ranks eighth on the PSU all-time scoring list with 1,669 points.
- PENN STATE: 81
Feb 14 10:05 PM
- PENN STATE: 37
Feb 14 8:52 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 14 8:08 PM
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- No. 7 Ohio State blasts Iowa 98-81 for 8th straight win Feb 11
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Powers keys No. 17 Michigan St women in 74-69 win over Iowa Feb 7
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 18 Michigan State women beat Iowa 80-73 Jan 16
- Walker-Kimbrough leads No. 8 Maryland to win over Iowa Jan 10
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7