No. 3 UConn downs Rutgers; Stringer stuck on 899Feb 17, 2013 - 12:20 AM Piscataway, NJ (Sports Network) - Morgan Tuck's 15 points helped No. 3 Connecticut top Rutgers, 65-45, on Saturday.
Stefanie Dolson contributed 14 points, and Moriah Jefferson added 10 with five rebounds for the Huskies (24-1, 11-1 Big East), who face a stiff test against top-ranked Baylor at home on Monday.
Shakena Richardson totaled 10 points, four boards and two steals for Rutgers (14-10, 5-6), which dropped its 10th straight game to UConn and failed to give head coach C. Vivian Stringer her milestone 900th victory.
The hosts led 14-4 in the early stages, but stumbled badly throughout the remainder of the first half, allowing UConn a 14-4 run which put the visitors up 22-18 after a Jefferson three-point play.
It was 33-27 for the Huskies at the break, and a 9-2 burst to start the second half pushed the lead to 13.
Richardson's triple brought Rutgers within 47-38, but eight in a row from Connecticut thereafter effectively sealed the outcome.
- CONNECTICUT: 65
Feb 16 6:02 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
Feb 16 4:52 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 4:11 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2