Griner powers No. 1 Baylor past TexasFeb 23, 2013 - 9:05 PM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner registered 30 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks to lead No. 1 Baylor to a 67-47 win over Texas on Saturday.
Griner was honored before the game for becoming the eighth Division I woman with 3,000 career points and moved up to fifth on the all-time list. She also became the first player to record 700 career blocks and has at least one block in 76 straight games.
Odyssey Sims had 15 points and six assists and Kimetria Hayden added 11 points for the Lady Bears (26-1, 15-0 Big 12), who have already clinched their third consecutive Big 12 regular-season title.
Chassidy Fussell had a team-high 16 points for the Longhorns (10-16, 3-12), who have lost five of their past six games. Imani McGee-Stafford had nine points and 11 rebounds in defeat.
Baylor started the game with a 7-0 run in the first two minutes, before Texas responded with the next six points.
After that, it was all Baylor. The Lady Bears went on a 12-2 surge, with Griner scoring 10 points during the swing, and Baylor was up 19-8 with just over nine minutes to go.
By halftime, Baylor extended its lead to 30-16. Griner scored 20 points in the first half alone.
Griner continued to dominate, scoring eight points in the first five minutes of the second half.
The Longhorns attempted a comeback and Fussell scored six unanswered points to cut the deficit to 48-35 with 11:10 left in regulation. However, it wasn't enough as they went 5-of-13 for the rest of the game.
Baylor held Texas to 35.1 percent shooting and forced 23 turnovers in the game.
- TEXAS: 47
Feb 23 2:52 PM
- TEXAS: 16
Feb 23 1:50 PM
- TEXAS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 1:07 PM
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25