California rallies from slow start to hold off Oregon StateFeb 25, 2013 - 12:59 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Layshia Clarendon scored 26 points and No. 6 California overcame a 12-point deficit at halftime to defeat Oregon State, 58-56, on Sunday.
Clarendon shot 10-of-22 for the Golden Bears (25-2, 15-1 Pac-12), who have not lost since Jan. 8 against Stanford. Gennifer Brandon recorded a double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
Jamie Weisner scored 20 points on 7-of-18 shooting and had 10 boards for the Beavers (9-19, 3-13), who have lost 10 straight games. Mollee Schwegler scored 15 points and was a perfect 6-for-6, including three 3-pointers.
Oregon State started strong, outscoring California by an 18-6 margin in the first 11 minutes of the game. Weisner scored eight points during the stretch.
At halftime, the Beavers had a 30-18 advantage.
However, the Golden Bears would not be undeterred.
Down 36-25 with 17:26 remaining in regulation, California went on a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to 36-31 with 15:16 to go.
Later, down 46-38, the Golden Bears went on an 8-0 surge to tie the game at 46-46 with 7:45 remaining.
Schwegler made a layup to retake the lead, only for Clarendon to respond with a jumper to re-tie the game at 48-48 with 6 1/2 minutes to play.
Trailing by one, 51-50, the Golden Bears went on a 7-0 spurt to take the lead. Clarendon tallied five points during the burst, including a three-point play with 3:37 remaining to make it 57-51.
Ali Gibson's 3-pointer and Deven Hunter's layup got Oregon State within two, 58-56, with 1:21 remaining.
Clarendon missed a jumper but Afure Jemerigbe grabbed a key offensive rebound. Eliza Pierre followed with a pair of missed free throws.
ShaKiana Edwards-Teasley tried to tie the game for Oregon State with seven seconds left but missed a jumper. Pierre grabbed the defensive rebound to give California the win.
- OREGON STATE: 56
Feb 24 7:00 PM
- OREGON STATE: 30
Feb 24 5:50 PM
- OREGON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 5:13 PM
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2
- Open tryouts to the Final Four: Oregon State's dramatic rise Mar 30
- Beavers celebrate first Final Four, but UConn looms Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- Weisner leads Oregon State past St. Bonaventure 69-40 Mar 21