Red-hot Notre Dame overcomes slow start to beat SyracuseFeb 27, 2013 - 2:57 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins filled the stat sheet with 24 points, eight assists and six steals, and the second-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish recorded their 21st straight victory with a 79-68 decision over the 22nd-ranked Syracuse Orange.
Kayla McBride added 25 points and five boards for the Fighting Irish (26-1, 14-0 Big East), who improved to 8-1 against ranked opponents this year. Natalie Achonwa donated 11 points and 12 rebounds.
Kayla Alexander ended with 24 points and 16 rebounds for the Orange (22-5, 10-4), who have lost two in a row since a six-game winning streak. Carmen Tyson-Thomas tallied 18 points and seven boards, while Brittney Sykes posted a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
Syracuse led by as many as 15 in the first half, but Notre Dame ended the opening period strong.
Trailing 37-23 with 6:19 left, the Fighting Irish went on a 17-6 surge to cut the gap to three. Diggins and McBride tallied nine and six points, respectively, during the burst that Markisha Wright capped with a layup, making it 43-40 at the break.
Notre Dame carried that momentum over to the second half, with a 9-0 run to start the final stanza. Achonwa's three-point play gave the Fighting Irish a 49-43 lead with 16:11 to play.
Notre Dame led by at least four the rest of the way. It was the 18th straight Big East win for the Fighting Irish, tying a school record.
- SYRACUSE: 68
NOTRE DAME: 79
Feb 26 9:04 PM
- SYRACUSE: 43
NOTRE DAME: 40
Feb 26 7:52 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 26 7:07 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26