Minnesota shoots lights out, edges Penn StateMar 1, 2013 - 5:36 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Micaella Riche had a game-high 24 points on 9-of-10 shooting and Rachel Banham scored 23 points to go along with five rebounds and seven assists, as Minnesota took down No. 7 Penn State, 89-81, on Thursday in Big Ten action.
Sari Noga chipped in 19 points on a perfect 6-of-6 shooting effort from behind the arc for the Golden Gophers (17-12, 6-9 Big Ten), who shot a lights out 66.7 percent from the floor (28-of-42) and have won two of their last three.
Maggie Lucas paced Penn State with 23 points, but shot just 2-of-11 from 3- point range, and Alex Bentley had 19 points for the Lady Lions (23-4, 13-2), who lost for the first time in their last seven tries.
Penn State leads the all-time series, but the Lady Lions' struggles in Minneapolis continued, as the Gophers have won eight of the last nine matchups at Williams Arena.
Minnesota held a 37-36 edge at the break and opened up its advantage to 63-52 with 11 minutes remaining. The hosts held its lead to close out the contest.
Penn State could have clinched the Big Ten regular-season title outright with a victory. The Lady Lions play at Nebraska on Sunday, and if they fall, the team will be co-champions with the Huskers.
- PENN STATE: 81
Feb 28 11:44 PM
- PENN STATE: 36
Feb 28 10:01 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 28 9:13 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Coffey helps Northwestern women top Minnesota 84-74 Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Banham, Minnesota upset No. 5 Ohio State, 90-88 Feb 24
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State over Minnesota 114-106 Feb 21
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Banham got Kobe's attention with 60-point game for Minnesota Feb 10
- Minnesota's Banham ties NCAA record with 60 points Feb 7
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- No. 23 Michigan State women beat Penn State 71-55 Jan 7