Lady Vols top No. 13 Texas A&M to claim SEC crownMar 1, 2013 - 3:37 AM Tennessee captured the SEC regular-season championship with an 82-72 triumph over No. 13 Texas A&M Thursday at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Meighan Simmons added 17 points and Cierra Burdick pulled down 14 rebounds -- nine on the offensive end -- to go along with 15 points for the Lady Volunteers (23-5, 14-1 SEC), who take a six-game win streak into Sunday's regular-season finale at 10th-ranked Kentucky.
Adrienne Pratcher knocked down 4-of-8 shots from 3-point range en route to a game-high 20 points for Texas A&M (21-8, 11-4), but the Aggies couldn't overcome a 44-27 disadvantage on the boards and were a dealt a second defeat in as many games.
Kelsey Bone and Courtney Williams finished with 14 and 13 points, respectively, for Texas A&M.
The Aggies challenged Tennessee most of the way, and trailed just 39-38 after Williams capped an 6-2 spurt to begin the second half. It was a three-point game with 12 minutes left, before the Lady Vols embarked on a 9-0 run that began with Bashaara Graves' 3-point play to take a 62-50 lead at the midway mark of the second half.
Texas A&M battled back to pull to within 76-72 on Courtney Walker's basket with 3:50 left, but Tennessee's defense clamped down to hold the Aggies scoreless the rest of the way.
- TEXAS A&M: 72
Feb 28 9:06 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 32
Feb 28 7:58 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 28 7:11 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21