Penn State stops streaking Nebraska, wins Big Ten outrightMar 4, 2013 - 2:11 AM Lincoln, NE (Sports Network) - Maggie Lucas poured in 34 points and No. 7 Penn State wrapped up a second consecutive outright Big Ten regular season title with an 82-67 victory over No. 20 Nebraska.
The Cornhuskers entered the regular season finale winners of 10 in a row and had a chance to share the conference crown but simply had no answer for Lucas, who shot 8-of-13 from behind the arc and grabbed nine rebounds in the final women's basketball game at Devaney Center.
Alex Bentley chipped in 13 points for the Lady Lions (24-4, 14-2 Big Ten), whose loss to Minnesota on Thursday set up the dramatic showdown.
Lindsey Moore battled foul trouble and committed eight turnovers to go with her team-high 23 points, while Emily Cady added 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Cornhuskers (22-7, 12-4), whose leading scorer, Jordan Hooper, netted 14 points on a rough 4-of-17 shooting effort.
Lucas scored 18 in the first half, the last two coming on a jumper from the top of the key just before the buzzer to give Penn State a 38-32 lead.
The Lady Lions began pulling away with an 8-0 run that was capped by two Lucas free throws for a 63-52 cushion with under nine minutes to play.
The closest the hosts got from there was nine.
- PENN STATE: 82
Mar 3 8:06 PM
- PENN STATE: 38
Mar 3 6:59 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 3 6:06 PM
- New Nebraska women's assistants will be paid $140,000 each Apr 25
- New Nebraska women's coach has fewer perks in contract Apr 19
- Building trust top priority for new Nebraska women's coach Apr 12
- Huskers act quickly to replace Yori, hire SD's Amy Williams Apr 11
- Nebraska's Natalie Romeo: 'Immature' players pushed out Yori Apr 9
- Huskers pay women's coach Connie Yori $1.2 million to leave Apr 7
- Nebraska coach Connie Yori resigns after 14 seasons Apr 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- Hart scores 18, No. 5 Ohio State routs Nebraska 96-70 Feb 18
- Nebraska women take down No. 17 Michigan State 73-66 Feb 14