No. 5 California handles USC in Pac-12 quartersMar 9, 2013 - 12:44 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Gennifer Brandon tallied 17 points, 16 rebounds and four steals as the fifth-ranked California Golden Bears defeated Southern California, 78-59, in quarterfinal action of the Pac-12 Tournament.
Afure Jemerigbe and Brittany Boyd each scored 15 -- with Boyd also grabbing nine boards -- and Talia Caldwell donated 12 points and nine rebounds for California (28-2), which will take on UCLA in Saturday's semifinal.
The Trojans (11-20) gave up 11 unanswered points to start the contest and never recovered. Cassie Harberts had 24 points, while Christina Marinacci and Ariya Crook each scored 10 in defeat.
The Golden Bears used a 10-0 surge to increase their edge to 25-6 just past the midway point in the first half and carried a 37-22 lead into the break.
USC was just 7-for-26 from the field in the initial 20 minutes and trailed by as many as 27 points before the final buzzer.
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- Weisner helps No. 8 Oregon State turn back USC 63-53 Mar 5
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Trojan women beat Washington State 77-73 in Pac 12 tourney Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 7 Oregon State uses strong 3rd quarter to beat USC 76-52 Feb 20
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13
- Brunner's 3-point play lets No. 8 Arizona State es Feb 7
- Balance lifts No. 25 Stanford women over California 60-55 Feb 6
- McCall, No. 15 Stanford women pull away; beat Cal 53-46 Feb 3