Thomas shines as Maryland advances past Wake Forest in OTMar 9, 2013 - 4:14 AM Greensboro, NC (Sports Network) - Alyssa Thomas recorded the first triple- double in ACC Tournament history in leading No. 10 Maryland to the semifinals with a 92-81 overtime victory over upset-minded Wake Forest.
Thomas totaled a career-high 32 points with 13 rebounds and 10 assists and scored seven points on Maryland's 10-0 run to start the extra session.
Tianna Hawkins chipped in 17 points and 12 rebounds for the second-seeded Terrapins (24-6), the reigning tourney champs who will next take on third- seeded North Carolina on Saturday.
Chloe Pavlech and Katie Rutan combined for seven 3-pointers and 27 points in the win.
Chelsea Douglas paced 10th-seeded Wake Forest (13-19) with 31 points, Asia Williams followed with 19 and Lakevia Boykin netted 17 in the tough loss.
The Demon Deacons lost by 27 at Maryland on Sunday, but Friday's tilt was back-and-forth and saw seven lead changes in the final 3 1/2 minutes of regulation. Pavlech hit a corner 3-pointer to put Maryland on top, 79-77, with 32 seconds remaining, and Sandra Garcia went to the line with 5.4 seconds to go after getting fouled going for a rebound on Douglas' missed layup.
Garcia sank both free throws to even things, and Rutan airballed a rushed 3- point try at the buzzer to force overtime.
But Maryland, led by Thomas, controlled the extra five minutes, as three Wake Forest players fouled out en route to the loss.
- WAKE FOREST: 81
Final - OT
Mar 8 8:19 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 79
End of Regulation
Mar 8 8:02 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 43
Mar 8 6:51 PM
- WAKE FOREST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 8 6:09 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- Wake Forest beats Clemson 73-58 in ACC women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27