Aggies edge Lady Vols in SEC semifinalsMar 10, 2013 - 1:29 AM Duluth, GA (Sports Network) - Courtney Williams hit a go-ahead baseline jumper with 35 seconds remaining to lift No. 19 Texas A&M past No. 9 Tennessee, 66-62, in the semifinals of the SEC Tournament.
Kristi Bellock recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds for the Aggies (23-9), who move on to Sunday's SEC Championship game to face No. 7 Kentucky. Kelsey Bone and Adrienne Pratcher each netted 15 points for Texas A&M, while Courtney Walker chipped in 18 points in the victory.
Williams finished with just four points on 2-of-6 shooting, though her late jumper that snapped a 62-62 tie proved to be the difference-maker, as Tennessee's Kamiko Williams missed a lefty lay-in for the tie with 11 seconds to play. Walker then hit two free throws to secure the victory.
Taber Spani led all players with a career-high 33 points on 11-of-13 shooting -- including 5-of-6 from beyond the arc -- for the Lady Vols (24-7), whose next leading scorer, Meighan Simmons, had just 10 points.
Both teams went toe-to-toe in the first half, with Spani closing the action by hitting a triple to bring Tennessee within 35-33 at the break.
Tennessee led by 10, 50-40, with under 13 minutes remaining before the Aggies used a 12-2 swing to tie the game at 52-52 with 5:48 to play.
- TEXAS A&M: 66
Mar 9 5:54 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 35
Mar 9 4:49 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 9 4:07 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21