Spartans upend Penn State to advance to Big Ten finalMar 10, 2013 - 4:19 AM Hoffman Estates, IL (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas tallied 19 points and six rebounds as Michigan State earned its way to the Big Ten Championship game by ousting eighth-ranked Penn State, 54-46, on Saturday.
Becca Mills was the most consistent shooter on the floor, converting on 7- of-13 attempts to score 16 points. She also grabbed nine boards and blocked three shots for the Spartans (24-7), who will take on third-seeded Purdue in the conference title game on Sunday.
Maggie Lucas had 23 points and was the only scorer for Penn State (25-5) in double-figures, accounting for seven of the team's nine 3-pointers. Overall, the Lady Lions were just 22.4 percent (15-of-67) from the field.
Penn State was ahead 16-5 nearly nine minutes through, but scored just three more points the rest of the half. However, it remained on top, 19-17, at the break.
Courtney Schiffauer put the Spartans ahead with a layup early in the second half and a 10-0 run soon after had Michigan State in front, 32-24, with 10:54 to play.
Lucas drained back-to-back 3-pointers to bring the Lady Lions within one, 2 1/2 minutes later, but another 10-0 Michigan State surge put the Spartans in full control the rest of the way.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 54
PENN STATE: 46
Mar 9 10:21 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 17
PENN STATE: 19
Mar 9 8:20 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 9 7:32 PM
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24