McFarland's double-double carries Sooners into second roundMar 23, 2013 - 7:35 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Joanna McFarland posted a double-double as the sixth-seed Oklahoma Sooners topped the 11th-seed Central Michigan Chippewas, 78-73, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at St. John Arena.
McFarland finished with 18 points and 17 rebounds for Oklahoma (23-10) which will take on third-seed UCLA in Monday's second round. Aaryn Ellenberg added 22 points, Sharane Campbell had 15 and Morgan Hook netted nine points to go with seven assists.
Crystal Bradford recorded a double-double of her own with 36 points and 14 rebounds along with seven steals for Central Michigan (21-12). Brandie Baker netted 12 points and handed out five assists while Niki DiGuilio tacked on 10 points.
At halftime Oklahoma held a 43-34 lead after shooting 44.1 percent from the floor and hitting 8-of-9 attempts from the free-throw line. Central Michigan managed to make good on just 30.2 percent of its shots from the field but matched the Sooners with five 3-pointers.
In the second half the Sooners shot 52.6 percent from the field and held off the Chippewas, who netted just 31.7 percent, by knocking down 11-of-13 free- throw attempts.
Oklahoma won despite committing a game-high 24 turnovers. The Sooners had a 48-42 edge on the boards and went 9-of-19 from beyond the arc.
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 73
Mar 23 1:05 PM
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 34
Mar 23 11:56 AM
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 23 11:11 AM
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Buffalo women advance to first-ever NCAA Tournament Mar 12
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor in 84-57 win over No. 24 Oklahoma Mar 6
- No. 24 Oklahoma women top rival OSU 61-43 in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1
- Williams has 32 as No. 23 Oklahoma women roll Iowa St. 85-54 Feb 27
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor past No. 23 Oklahoma 78-70 Feb 23
- No. 20 Oklahoma women top Kansas 72-66 Feb 20