Lady Vols march on after dominating Oral RobertsMar 23, 2013 - 8:38 PM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Led by 18 points from Meighan Simmons the second-seed Tennessee Lady Vols eased past the 15th-seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, 83-62, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Ariel Massengale and Isabelle Harrison had 13 points apiece and Bashaara Graves netted 11 for Tennessee (25-7) which had every player on the roster record at least one field goal for the 14th time this season. The win was the first for the Volunteers in the NCAA Tournament under first-year head coach Holly Warlick, who took over for Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt this season. Tennessee will take on 10th-seed Creighton in the second round.
Kevi Luper had a game-high 20 points for Oral Roberts (18-13). Savanna Buck and Taylor Cooper each registered 15 points and Sarah Shelton brought in 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles.
In the first half the Lady Vols managed to shoot at just a 35.9 percent rate from the field. The Golden Eagles hit on 37 percent from the field but had four fewer field goals and went into the break trailing, 44-31.
In the second half the Lad Vols found their shooting touch, connecting on 53.8 percent from the floor to pull further away.
Tennessee traded in 20 Oral Roberts' turnovers for 27 points. The win was the 47th to come by at least 20 points for Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21