Cyclones blow by Gonzaga in first roundMar 24, 2013 - 12:32 AM Spokane, WA (Sports Network) - Hallie Christofferson registered a double- double with 18 points and a game-high 11 rebounds as the Iowa State Cyclones captured a 72-60 win over the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
Also having a strong game for the fifth-seeded Cyclones (24-8) were Chelsea Poppens and Brynn Williamson with 19 and 17 points, respectively, while Nikki Moody filled out her stat line with nine points, seven boards and a game-high 11 assists.
The 12th-seeded Bulldogs (27-6) were paced by Haiden Palmer who recorded a rather unusual double-double with 14 points and 10 steals, but she ended up shooting a mere 6-of-21 from the floor, including 1-of-8 behind the 3-point line. Taelor Karr responded with 15 points and seven boards in the setback.
Shooting only 38.2 percent from the floor and failing to make it to the free- throw line in the first half, Gonzaga was lucky to be trailing by just three points at the break, 34-31.
In the second half the Bulldogs saw their accuracy drop to just 27.0 percent from the field, including 2-of-13 beyond the arc, as they suffered the double- digit loss.
Iowa State converted 52.3 percent from the floor on the day and made all but one of 18 attempts at the charity stripe, all crucial considering the squad was saddled with a staggering 23 turnovers.
With the victory, Iowa State advances to the second round of the tournament and will face fourth-seeded Georgia which defeated Montana on Saturday, 71-50.
- GONZAGA: 60
IOWA STATE: 72
Mar 23 6:10 PM
- GONZAGA: 31
IOWA STATE: 34
Mar 23 5:01 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 23 4:18 PM
- Iowa State's Bill Fennelly, sued by ex-star, defends self Apr 29
- Moody's attorney, Iowa State disagree on university ruling Apr 19
- APNewsBreak: Former Iowa St star Nikki Moody sues coach Apr 18
- Texas Tech women beat Iowa St. 89-84 in Big 12 tournament Mar 4
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- Williams has 32 as No. 23 Oklahoma women roll Iowa St. 85-54 Feb 27
- No. 4 Baylor women win 14th in a row, 78-41 over Iowa State Feb 20
- No. 24 West Virginia women close out Iowa State 57-47 Feb 10
- No. 6 Texas beats Iowa State 65-49 Feb 6
- No. 21 Oklahoma women beat Iowa State 77-71 Jan 30
- No. 4 Baylor cruises past Iowa State 77-61 Jan 23
- No 4 Texas remains undefeated with 75-54 win over Iowa State Jan 6