Free-throw shooting helps Huskers winMar 24, 2013 - 1:07 AM College Station, TX (Sports Network) - Jordan Hooper scored 21 points and pulled down 12 rebounds as the Nebraska Cornhuskers posted a 73-59 win over the Lady Mocs of Chattanooga in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Reed Arena.
Also scoring in double figures for the sixth-seeded Huskers (24-8) were Lindsey Moore (13 points), Rachel Theriot (12) and Emily Cady (10), the latter adding nine rebounds in the triumph.
The 11th-seeded Lady Mocs (29-4) were paced by Taylor Hall with 13 points and eight rebounds, followed by Alex Black and Kayla Christopher with 12 and 11 points, respectively.
A close game throughout the first half, Chattanooga converted just 39.4 percent from the field and failed to make a single trip to the free-throw line, but still had the meeting tied at the break, 32-32.
In the second half the Lady Mocs, who led by as many as nine points in the frame, again had their issues from the floor (.333) and appeared at the charity stripe only once as the Huskers ran away with the victory.
In a game that featured five ties and eight lead changes, Nebraska outscored the Mocs by an 18-1 margin at the free-throw line.
With the victory the Huskers will now take on third-seeded Texas A&M in the second round beginning early next week.
- UT-CHATTANOOGA: 59
Mar 23 8:09 PM
- UT-CHATTANOOGA: 32
Mar 23 7:08 PM
- UT-CHATTANOOGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 23 6:42 PM
- New Nebraska women's assistants will be paid $140,000 each Apr 25
- New Nebraska women's coach has fewer perks in contract Apr 19
- Building trust top priority for new Nebraska women's coach Apr 12
- Huskers act quickly to replace Yori, hire SD's Amy Williams Apr 11
- Nebraska's Natalie Romeo: 'Immature' players pushed out Yori Apr 9
- Huskers pay women's coach Connie Yori $1.2 million to leave Apr 7
- Nebraska coach Connie Yori resigns after 14 seasons Apr 5
- Mississippi State tops Chattanooga 60-50 Mar 18
- Chattanooga-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 17
- Chattanooga women top Mercer for 4th straight SoCon title Mar 6
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- Hart scores 18, No. 5 Ohio State routs Nebraska 96-70 Feb 18