Delle Donne sets milestone, Blue Hens advanceMar 24, 2013 - 8:53 PM Newark, DE (Sports Network) - Elena Delle Donne poured in 33 points to reach the 1,000-point plateau for her career as the sixth-seed Delaware Blue Hens took care of the 11th-seed West Virginia Mountaineers, 66-53, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Bob Carpenter Center.
Delle Donne, a first-team All-American, also collected seven boards and blocked four shots for Delaware (31-3). Kelsey Buchanan added 10 points off the bench and Danielle Parker collected 11 rebounds and four steals for the Blue Hens who awaits North Carolina in the next round.
Ayana Dunning had a double-double of 15 points and 10 rebounds, Taylor Palmer tallied 13 points and Linda Stepney had 10 points and four assists for West Virginia (17-14).
At halftime it was West Virginia that owned a 33-26 lead after holding the Blue Hens to just 38.7 percent shooting in the first 20 minutes.
Delaware came out of the gates in the second half with a 10-0 run to reclaim the lead, one it would not surrender. The Blue Hens held the Mountaineers to just seven field goals in the final 20 minutes while hitting 18-of-20 attempts from the free-throw line.
Turnovers loomed large in the contest with the Blue Hens guilty of only nine while scoring 18 points off of 17 miscues for the Mountaineers.
- WEST VIRGINIA: 53
Mar 24 2:08 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 33
Mar 24 12:58 PM
- WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 12:15 PM
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas past West Virginia 73-50 Feb 21
- West Virginia women hold off No. 20 Oklahoma 63-55 Feb 17
- No. 20 Oklahoma St. women smother No. 24 West Virginia 63-51 Feb 13
- No. 24 West Virginia women close out Iowa State 57-47 Feb 10