Iowa uses second-half surge to upend Miami-FloridaMar 25, 2013 - 2:04 AM Iowa City, Iowa (Sports Network) - Samantha Logic poured in 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds as the ninth-seeded Iowa Hawkeyes ran past the eighth- seeded Miami-Florida Hurricane, 69-53, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Logic shot 8-of-14 from the floor and 6-of-7 from the free-throw line for Iowa (21-12), which will advance to play top-seeded Notre Dame in Tuesday's second round. Melissa Dixon netted 13 points in 25 minutes off the bench, while Morgan Johnson tallied nine points and 11 rebounds.
For Miami (21-11), which shot just 30 percent from the field, Shawnice Wilson had 15 points and 18 rebounds but also committed seven turnovers. Morgan Stroman put up 15 points as well.
Neither team shot greater than 35 percent from the field in the first half, but Miami carried a 28-27 lead into the break.
Iowa got hot from the field in the second half, draining 48.3 percent of its shot attempts. Trailing by one with under 14 minutes to play, the Hawkeyes ripped off a 12-0 run to take control of the game.
Miami dominated the rebounding battle, 53-37, but it was plagued by 24 turnovers.
- IOWA: 69
Mar 24 9:27 PM
- IOWA: 27
Mar 24 8:14 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 24 7:26 PM
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- No. 3 Notre Dame women rout No. 19 Miami 90-69 Feb 14
- No. 7 Ohio State blasts Iowa 98-81 for 8th straight win Feb 11