UConn cruises against Commodores in StorrsMar 26, 2013 - 1:49 AM Vanderbilt Commodores, 77-44, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Gampel Pavilion.
The top seed in the Bridgeport Region, the Huskies (31-4) were given a boost by Stefanie Dolson who tallied 12 points and pulled down a game-high nine rebounds, while Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck tacked on 14 and 11 points, respectively.
The eighth-seeded Commodores (21-12) were paced by Tiffany Clarke who tallied 16 points, while Kendall Shaw pitched in with 12 points on 6-of-8 shooting from the floor off the bench.
UConn scored the first six points of the night and never looked back, shooting 51.5 percent from the floor in the first half in order to claim a 37-24 advantage at the break.
In the second half the Huskies again shot the ball well from the field at 57.7 percent, all while holding Vandy to a total of just eight made field goals in the frame.
Not only did the Commodores shoot only 1-of-8 behind the 3-point line on the night, the squad also suffered 23 turnovers as well.
The Huskies now head to the regional semifinals later this week where they will contend against the Maryland Terrapins who defeated Michigan State on Monday night, 74-49.
- VANDERBILT: 44
Mar 25 8:55 PM
- VANDERBILT: 24
Mar 25 7:55 PM
- VANDERBILT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 7:08 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2