Bluejays bow to Lady Vols in NCAA TournamentMar 26, 2013 - 3:04 AM Tennessee Lady Volunteers delivered a 68-52 win over the Creighton Bluejays in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Thompson-Boling Arena.
Ariel Massengale added 11 points for the second-seeded Lady Vols (26-7), followed by Meighan Simmons and Taber Spani with 10 points apiece for the squad.
The 10th-seeded Bluejays (25-8) were led by Alexis Akin-Otiko who came off the bench to post 12 points in the losing cause.
Creighton was hanging around in the first half, even led by a point midway through the period, but the team allowed the Vols to shoot 48.1 percent from the floor in the frame in order to take a 35-29 advantage at the break.
In the second half the Jays fell apart, converting a total of just seven field goals and hitting 1-of-12 behind the 3-point line, as Tennessee pulled away for the double-digit win.
Creighton, which turned the ball over 19 times on the night, shot just 32.1 percent from the field and 4-of-22 beyond the arc.
The Lady Vols now move to Oklahoma City for the regional semifinals later this week where they will battle the Oklahoma Sooners who dismissed UCLA on Monday night, 85-72.
- CREIGHTON: 52
Mar 25 8:59 PM
- CREIGHTON: 29
Mar 25 7:54 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 7:10 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21