Career-night from McBride allows Notre Dame to outlast IowaMar 27, 2013 - 4:21 AM Iowa City, IA (Sports Network) - Kayla McBride poured in a career-high 28 points as the top-seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish took down the ninth-seeded Iowa Hawkeyes, 74-57, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Carver- Hawkeye Arena.
McBride shot 10-of-21 from the floor, including 4-of-7 from 3-point range for Notre Dame (33-1), which has extended its school-record winning streak to 28 games and will play 12th-seeded Kansas in the Sweet 16. Skylar Diggins added 16 points, five assists and three steals, Jewell Loyd netted 14 points, and Natalie Achonwa tallied a double-double of 11 points and 14 rebounds.
Bethany Doolittle paced Iowa (21-13) with 16 points, while Jaime Printy and Theairra Taylor had 10 points apiece. Samantha Logic finished with nine points and nine rebounds but she also committed 11 turnovers.
Although Iowa outshot Notre Dame from the field in the first half, 47.1 percent to 45.5 percent, the Irish went into intermission with a 46-34 lead by shooting 5-of-10 from 3-point range and 11-of-12 from the foul line. The Hawkeyes went without a long-range bucket in the game.
Notre Dame's field goal percentage dipped to 29.4 percent after the break but its lead never fell below double-digits.
Iowa was plagued by 21 turnovers.
- IOWA: 57
NOTRE DAME: 74
Mar 26 11:31 PM
- IOWA: 34
NOTRE DAME: 46
Mar 26 10:27 PM
- IOWA: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 26 9:41 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5