Webb leads LSU in upset over Penn StateMar 27, 2013 - 4:40 AM Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - Adrienne Webb led all scorers with a career-high 29 points as the sixth-seeded LSU Lady Tigers used a second-half surge to bring down the third-seeded Penn State Lady Lions, 71-66, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Maravich Center.
Webb shot 10-of-16 from the field and 7-of-9 from the free-throw line for LSU (22-11), which has advanced to the Sweet 16 to face off against California. Bianca Lutley added 18 points and six assists in the winning effort.
For PSU (26-6), Nikki Greene tallied 16 points and 16 rebounds, Alex Bentley scored 14 points, and Ariel Edwards came off the bench to net 13 points.
Both teams shot at least 50 percent from the field in the first half, although PSU took a 42-35 lead into intermission by making 9-of-10 from the foul line and draining three 3-pointers.
LSU opened up the second half red-hot, ripping off a 10-0 run to take a 45-42 advantage less than four minutes in. The teams went on the seesaw down the stretch, and with under a minute remaining, an Edwards jumper put the Lady Lions up, 66-65. Lutley answered on the Lady Tigers' next possession however, draining what proved to be the game-winning jumper. Webb shot 3-of-4 from the free-throw line down the stretch to seal the victory.
LSU converted 15 PSU turnovers in 24 points.
- LSU: 71
PENN STATE: 66
Mar 26 11:47 PM
- LSU: 35
PENN STATE: 42
Mar 26 10:33 PM
- LSU: 0
PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 26 9:46 PM
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Thompson sparks No. 18 Kentucky women to 70-58 win over LSU Feb 7
- Vivians leads No. 11 Mississippi State to 71-52 win over LSU Feb 4
- Cunningham, No. 22 Missouri women beat LSU 52-46 Jan 28