Diggins sets school scoring record as Notre Dame routs KansasMar 31, 2013 - 8:22 PM Norfolk, VA (Sports Network) - Skylar Diggins scored 22 of her 27 points in the first half as the top-seeded Notre Dame Fighting Irish coasted to a 93-63 win over the 12th-seeded Kansas Jayhawks in the Sweet 16 of the 2013 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
Natalie Achonwa added a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds for Notre Dame (34-1), which will take on Duke in the next round. Jewell Loyd chipped in 15 points, Kayla McBride scored 13 and Diggins also dealt out nine assists. Diggins passed associate coach Beth (Morgan) Cunningham to become the program's all-time leading scorer and now has 2,323 career points. The Irish have now won 29 games in a row.
Carolyn Davis finished her career with a 25-point effort for Kansas (20-14), which was just the second No. 12 seed to reach the Sweet 16 since 1994. Monica Engelman had 10 points and Angel Goodrich dealt out 13 assists.
The Jayhawks struggled to get anything going in the first half as they shot just 38.2 percent from the floor and failed to attempt any free throws. Notre Dame went 4-of-9 from beyond the arc en route to a 40-27 halftime edge.
The Irish began the second stanza on a 22-9 run to put it out of reach. They hit on 67.6 percent of their field goal tries in the final 20 minutes while the Jayhawks went 1-of-7 from 3-point range.
Notre Dame's 2.5 assist-to-turnover ratio was nearly double the Jayhawks' 1.3 ratio.
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- Rodrigo scores 13, leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 66-50 Mar 6