Ogwumike carries Stanford past No. 3 TennesseeDec 22, 2013 - 12:46 AM Stanford, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Chiney Ogwumike racked up 32 points and 20 rebounds in a monster individual effort that lifted sixth-ranked Stanford to a 76-70 win over No. 3 Tennessee in a powerhouse non-conference tilt from Maples Pavilion.
Ogwumike made good on 15-of-25 field goal attempts and added three blocks in addition to tallying 11 offensive boards in leading the Cardinal (10-1) to a ninth consecutive victory while dealing the Lady Vols their first loss of the season.
Lili Thompson contributed 14 points for Stanford, with Taylor Greenfield going 3-of-5 from 3-point range in an 11-point performance off the bench.
Ariel Massengale finished with 17 points for Tennessee (10-1), which shot just 35.8 percent from the floor en route to its third straight loss in the series. Meighan Simmons had 15 points and Isabelle Harrison scored 10 along with 13 rebounds in defeat.
The Cardinal led virtually the entire way and jumped out to an 18-7 advantage eight minutes in. Tennessee was able to trim the deficit to 27-21 with five minutes left in the half, but Greenfield followed an Ogwumike bucket with a 3- pointer that restored a double-digit margin.
Stanford took a 37-29 edge into halftime and were up by seven before putting forth a 7-2 run to gain some distance. Ogwumike had four points during the surge, which Thompson capped with a jumper to put the Cardinal up 63-51 with 8:14 remaining.
- TENNESSEE: 70
Dec 21 6:45 PM
- TENNESSEE: 29
Dec 21 5:24 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 4:42 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26