No. 10 UNC holds off James MadisonJan 2, 2014 - 10:25 PM Chapel Hill, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Xylina McDaniel posted 19 points and six rebounds as No. 10 North Carolina fended off James Madison, 74-71, on Thursday afternoon.
Latifah Coleman added 14 points and Stephanie Mavunga added 10 points and 10 boards for the Tar Heels (12-2), who triumphed in their first game without guard Megan Buckland, lost for the year after surgery to repair a torn ACL.
Precious Hall totaled 18 points for the Dukes (10-4). Kirby Burkholder added 16 points, while Toia Giggetts had 14 and 10 rebounds in a losing cause.
UNC led by as many as 10 in the first half, and took a 44-38 lead to the break thanks to 60-percent shooting from the field.
JMU used a 10-0 run to shrink a 13-point deficit down to three after a Hall triple with 11:17 remaining, but the Tar Heels used a 9-2 run thereafter to assume control for good.
Giggetts connected with 1:17 left to make it a three-point game once more, but Burkholder missed a potential game-tying three in the final seconds.
- JAMES MADISON: 71
NORTH CAROLINA: 74
Jan 2 4:02 PM
- JAMES MADISON: 38
NORTH CAROLINA: 44
Jan 2 2:52 PM
- JAMES MADISON: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 2:05 PM
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- James Madison beats Drexel 60-46 to win CAA, earn NCAA berth Mar 12
- James Madison women win third straight CAA championship Mar 12
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- Davis helps No. 4 Baylor women beat James Madison 77-63 Dec 21
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2