No. 2 Notre Dame holds off VirginiaJan 12, 2014 - 9:40 PM Charlottesville, VA (SportsNetwork.com) - Natalie Achonwa notched game-highs with 26 points and 16 rebounds to lead second-ranked Notre Dame to a 79-72 victory over Virginia at John Paul Jones Arena.
Kayla McBride had 23 points and five assists and Jewell Loyd totaled 17 points and seven rebounds for the Irish (15-0, 3-0 ACC), who have not lost since the Final Four last year against UConn, 83-65.
Faith Randolph netted 23 points off the bench for Virginia (8-8, 1-2), which has lost two of its last three. Sarah Imovbioh contributed 18 points and 12 rebounds in the losing effort.
Notre Dame started the final 20 minutes with an 8-2 burst to stretch its lead to 51-38, however, Randolph scored eight straight for the Cavaliers as part of an 8-2 run.
Loyd's layup provided the visitors with a 61-51 edge, but Virginia struck back to pull within two points, 71-69, with 3:49 left to play on an Imovbioh free throw.
The Fighting Irish rattled off the next six points and the Cavaliers were put to rest.
Raeshawn Gaffney's bucket provided the hosts with a 25-24 edge late in the first half, but Notre Dame finished off the half with a 19-11 spurt and led 45-36 at the break.
- NOTRE DAME: 79
Jan 12 3:55 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 43
Jan 12 2:49 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 2:04 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- NC A&T-Notre Dame Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame wins 3rd straight ACC Tournament title Mar 6
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5