Vanderbilt upsets No. 8 TennesseeJan 13, 2014 - 12:56 AM Nashville, TN (SportsNetwork.com) - Jasmine Lister poured in 22 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists to lead Vanderbilt to a 74-63 upset over eighth-ranked Tennessee at Memorial Gym.
Christina Foggie totaled 21 points for Vanderbilt (14-3, 3-1 SEC), which has now won 11 of its last 12. Marqu'es Webb added 12 points for the visitors.
Meighan Simmons scored 19 and Jasmine Jones had 13 points for Tennessee (13-3, 2-2), which matched its two SEC losses from all last season. Cierra Burdick and Isabelle Harrison contributed 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Harrison picked up two fouls in the first minute of the game and sat for the remainder of the half, while she only played 10 minutes in the game. She entered the game tied for the team lead with 13.9 points per game and leads the team with 9.3 rebounds per contest.
With 7:21 left to play the Commodores began a game changing run. Trailing 50-47 Lister made a pair from the stripe and then a Morgan Batey jumper put Vanderbilt ahead for good.
Sparked by Lister and Webb the Commodores closed out the game on a 27-13 swing. Lister and Webb scored 10 and six points, respectively to lead the comeback.
Tennessee scored the first nine points of the second half to go ahead, 39-29. The Commodores immediately fired back with a 13-5 surge to pull within two points with 12:12 left to play.
Vanderbilt started the game with a 10-2 run, however, Tennessee fought its way back and with 4:51 left in the half, a Jones jumper tied the game at 24-24.
During the last four minutes of the half the teams traded baskets and the Volunteers led, 30-29, at the break.
- TENNESSEE: 63
Jan 12 7:11 PM
- TENNESSEE: 30
Jan 12 5:49 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 5:06 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23