Late run pushes Minnesota past LouisvilleNov 19, 2007 - 1:02 AM MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Minnesota used a late surge to overcome a 12-point deficit in the final eight minutes on Sunday and captured the Subway Classic title with a 74-69 win over No. 21 Louisville.
Emily Fox scored 23 points in the championship game as the Golden Gophers (4-0) won the tournament title for the seventh time in eight seasons. The Cardinals (1-2) lost both games in the tournament.
Preseason All-American Angel McCoughtry had 39 points, 12 rebounds and five steals for Louisville, including all 10 points over a 4:30 span during a 10-4 second-half run that gave the Cardinals a 51-41 lead with 11:22 remaining.
Ashley Ellis-Milan had 15 points for Minnesota, while Korinne Campbell added 14 points along with a team-high nine rebounds with four blocked shots. Leslie Knight (eight assists) and Brittany McCoy each scored nine points for the Golden Gophers.
Louisville's Candyce Bingham contributed 11 points before fouling out with 6:03 remaining. Bingham and McCoughtry combined to score 26 of the Cardinals' first 28 points.
- SUBWAY CLASSIC
NCAA WOMENS BB SUBWAY CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LOUISVILLE (21) 35 34 69
MINNESOTA 32 42 74 FINAL
Nov 18 5:16 PM
- SUBWAY CLASSIC
NCAA WOMENS BB (21) LOUISVILLE 35
MINNESOTA 32 HALFTIME
Nov 18 3:57 PM
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16
- No. 17 Syracuse women beat No. 7 Louisville 80-75 in ACCs Mar 5
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Coffey helps Northwestern women top Minnesota 84-74 Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville women coast to 65-36 win over Pitt Feb 28