Stanford shocked by USC, absorbs second straight lossJan 7, 2008 - 2:28 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- This was not the start to conference play that Candice Wiggins and Stanford envisioned.
Wiggins had 17 points as second-ranked Stanford absorbed a 73-72 loss to Southern California on Sunday, its second straight setback in the Pac-10.
Coming off a 69-56 loss at UCLA on Friday that snapped a nine-game winning streak, the Cardinal (12-3, 2-2 Pac-10) found themselves trailing, 73-72, after Camille LeNoir hit a jumper with 8.1 seconds left.
Wiggins, a two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year, had the ball in her hands at the end before putting up an airball at the buzzer.
LeNoir scored 21 points and Heather Oliver added 13 for the Trojans (9-6, 2-2), who shot 51 percent (27-of-53) in snapping a two-game losing streak.
Jayne Appel had 22 points and 11 rebounds for Stanford, which went 3-of-20 (15 percent) on 3-pointers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (2) 32 40 72
USC 32 41 73 FINAL
Jan 6 6:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(2) STANFORD 32
USC 32 HALFTIME
Jan 6 6:01 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18