Bulger, West Virginia hold on to beat Notre DameJan 13, 2008 - 7:40 PM MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (Ticker) -- Meg Bulger scored 17 points Sunday afternoon as No. 16 West Virginia held off 14th-ranked Notre Dame, 56-50, in a Big East Conference clash.
It was a bounce-back victory for the Mountaineers (12-4, 2-1 Big East), who suffered a 36-point loss at top-ranked Connecticut on Wednesday.
Bulger made 7-of-13 shots while collecting four rebounds and four blocks for West Virginia, which raced to a 31-11 halftime lead before staving off Notre Dame's furious rally after intermission.
Olayinka Sanni chipped in 15 points while Ashley Powell grabbed 10 rebounds for the Mountaineers, who committed 23 turnovers.
Charel Allen scored 11 points to pace Notre Dame (13-3, 1-1), which shot just 25 percent (13-of-53) from the floor.
The Fighting Irish made five 3-pointers in the second half and finished 19-of-23 from the free-throw line, including 18-of-21 after the break.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NOTRE DAME (14) 11 39 50
WEST VIRGINIA (16) 31 25 56 FINAL
Jan 13 2:07 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(14) NOTRE DAME 11
(16) WEST VIRGINIA 31 HALFTIME
Jan 13 12:49 PM
- Notre Dame run of Final 4 appearances comes to stunning end Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Notre Dame more diverse scoring team than in past years Mar 24
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Top-seed Notre Dame beats 16-seed North Carolina A&T 95-61 Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19