Moore's double-double keeps top-ranked Connecticut unbeatenJan 16, 2008 - 2:57 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Freshman forward Maya Moore scored all 13 of her points in the second half and grabbed 17 rebounds to help top-ranked Connecticut hold off Syracuse, 65-59, on Tuesday in a Big East Conference game.
It was the 29th straight regular-season victory for the Huskies (16-0, 4-0 Big East), but the Orange (14-3, 2-2) were within a basket with 1:14 to play before Connecticut sealed the victory.
Mel Thomas scored a team-high 15 points and Renee Montgomery added 14 for the Huskies. Chandrea Jones scored a game-high 18 points and Nicole Michael chipped in 13 for Syracuse.
Fantasia Goodwin, the Orange's second-leading scorer at 14.3 points, finished with seven points.
Trailing 61-51 with 3:43 remaining, Syracuse used an 8-0 run over a span of 2:11 to pull within two points. UConn's Charde Houston scored on a layup with 38 seconds to play before two free throws from Montgomery sealed the victory.
The Huskies went into the game with an average margin of victory of 41.1 points.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (1) 32 33 65
SYRACUSE 36 23 59 FINAL
Jan 15 8:56 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(1) CONNECTICUT 32
SYRACUSE 36 HALFTIME
Jan 15 7:43 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4