Wiggins, Appel help Stanford rally against Arizona StateJan 21, 2008 - 1:25 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Candice Wiggins had 18 points and Jayne Appel added 16 and eight rebounds as sixth-ranked Stanford rallied for a 60-56 victory over No. 25 Arizona State in Pac-10 Conference action on Sunday.
The Cardinal (16-3, 6-2 Pac-10) trailed by as many as 14 late in the first half and were down, 31-20, at the intermission.
But Stanford scored the first seven points of the second half to get back in the game, and took the lead for good when Jillian Harmon's layup gave it a 41-40 advantage with 8:08 to play.
Arizona State (11-7, 5-2) stayed close and were down by two with a chance to tie late, but Briann January missed two shots with under 12 seconds remaining, and Jeanette Pohlen made two free throws for Stanford to seal the victory.
January finished with 20 points to lead the Sun Devils, who shot 35 percent (19-of-55) for the game.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (6) 20 40 60
ARIZONA ST (25) 31 25 56 FINAL
Jan 20 6:14 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(6) STANFORD 20
(25) ARIZONA ST 31 HALFTIME
Jan 20 5:07 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19