Lavender scores 22 as Ohio State routs Penn StateJan 29, 2008 - 3:02 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Jantel Lavender scored 22 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead 15th-ranked Ohio State to an 89-53 domination of Penn State in a Big Ten Conference matchup.
Marscilla Parker and Ashlee Trebicock joined Lavender in double figures with 12 and 11 points, respectively, for the Buckeyes, who shot 58 percent (32-of-55) and forced 17 turnovers en route to their fifth straight win.
Ohio State (16-4, 7-2 Big Ten) set a blistering pace in the first half with a 67 percent (20-of-30) shooting effort to take a 47-24 lead at the break. The Lady Lions failed to get anything going offensively, and finished the contest at 33 percent (18-of-54) from the floor.
The win gives Buckeyes coach Jim Foster 650 for his career, making him just the 13th coach to reach the plateau in Division I basketball. He is 650-261 (.714) all-time.
Tyra Grant scored 16 points for Penn State (13-8, 4-5), which has now lost four of its last six games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PENN ST 24 29 53
OHIO ST (15) 47 42 89 FINAL
Jan 28 9:02 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
PENN ST 24
(15) OHIO ST 47 HALFTIME
Jan 28 7:55 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2