Owens' second half leads West Virginia over RutgersJan 30, 2008 - 7:37 AM MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (Ticker) -- LaQuita Owens scored 20 of her 23 points in the second half as No. 12 West Virginia snapped fourth-ranked Rutgers' 12-game winning streak with a 63-54 Big East Conference victory on Tuesday.
Picking of the slack for leading scorer Olayinka Sanni who was plagued by foul trouble, Owens went 7-of-12 from the field with four 3-pointers en route to a season high in points.
With the Mountaineers trailing, 33-24, with 17:21 remaining, Owens went on to score 10 straight points. That was the beginning of a 19-3 run that made it 43-36 with 10:41 to play.
The Scarlet Knights did close within 46-44 with 7:08 left, but the Mountaineers answered back with a 9-2 run.
Sparkle Davis scored 14 points and Liz Repella added eight for West Virginia (17-3, 6-1 Big East), which captured its sixth straight win.
Kia Vaughn and Matee Ajavon scored 12 points for Rutgers (17-3, 7-1), which committed 19 turnovers leading to 22 points for West Virginia.
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas past West Virginia 73-50 Feb 21