Prince's big effort helps Rutgers knock off top-ranked UConnFeb 6, 2008 - 3:19 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Epiphanny Prince scored a career-high 33 points as No. 7 Rutgers shocked top-ranked Connecticut, 73-71, in a Big East showdown on Tuesday.
With the win, the Scarlet Knights (19-3, 9-1 Big East) handed the Huskies their first loss of the season and snapped their 34-game winning streak in regular-season games.
Kia Vaughn scored 14 points and Matee Ajavon added 13 and 10 rebounds for Rutgers, which trailed 33-24 at the break before shooting 53 percent (16-of-30) and converting 14-of-15 free throws in the second half.
With the Scarlet Knights trailing 40-30 early after halftime, Prince scored 14 points on a 16-4 run.
Renee Montgomery scored 24 points and Tina Charles chipped in 16 and 10 boards for Connecticut (21-1, 8-1), which committed 14 turnovers, leading to 19 points for Rutgers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (1) 33 38 71
RUTGERS (7) 24 49 73 FINAL
Feb 5 9:15 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(1) CONNECTICUT 33
(7) RUTGERS 24 HALFTIME
Feb 5 7:56 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2