Sanni's 20 points helps West Virginia edge ProvidenceFeb 10, 2008 - 12:05 AM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Olayinka Sanni scored 20 points and LaQuita Owens added 18 to lead 11th-ranked West Virginia to a 63-60 win over Providence on Saturday in a Big East battle.
Sparkle Davis knocked down a pair of free throws with under five seconds remaining to seal the win for the Mountaineers (19-3, 8-1 Big East), who forced 23 turnovers en route to their eighth straight victory.
Leading 58-57, Chakika Cole made it a two-possession game when she completed a three-point play with 32 seconds remaining. The Friars' Kendria Holmes made three straight free throws on the other end to pull her team back within, 61-60, before Davis sealed it from the line.
Holmes' career-high 28 points on 8-of-16 shooting led Providence (11-11, 1-8), which shot just 36 percent (9-of-25) after the break while squandering a 29-25 halftime advantage.
- Providence hires St. Bonaventure's Crowley as women's coach May 10
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas past West Virginia 73-50 Feb 21
- Podkowa leads No. 21 DePaul women past Providence 91-68 Feb 19
- West Virginia women hold off No. 20 Oklahoma 63-55 Feb 17