LSU recovers from slow start, rallies to upset TennesseeFeb 15, 2008 - 2:47 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Sylvia Fowles had 17 points and 15 rebounds to help seventh-ranked Louisiana State recover from a horrid start and blow past No. 1 Tennessee, 78-62, in a Southeastern Conference upset on Thursday.
The Tigers (21-3, 10-0 SEC) trailed, 21-2, seven minutes into the contest before mounting a huge rally, answering with a 28-7 run to take a brief 30-29 lead late in the first half.
After trailing by three points at the break, LSU held a 55-51 advantage midway through the second half and used a 13-2 run to take a 68-53 bulge with 2:27 remaining.
The Tigers went 6-of-6 from the free throw line, while the Volunteers missed 6-of-7 field goal attempts during the spurt.
Erica White added 16 points - 11 in the second half - and Quianna Chaney chipped in 14 for the Tigers, who have won 12 straight games and won their second straight contest at Tennessee.
Candace Parker had 26 points, 10 rebounds and a career-high six steals and Nicky Anosike added 10 points and 12 rebounds for the Volunteers (22-2, 8-1), who shot just 29 percent (10-of-35) in the second half and committed 19 turnovers for the game.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LSU (7) 30 48 78
TENNESSEE (1) 33 29 62 FINAL
Feb 14 8:28 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(7) LSU 30
(1) TENNESSEE 33 HALFTIME
Feb 14 7:20 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21