Moore, Charles power Connecticut past LSUFeb 26, 2008 - 4:04 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Freshman Maya Moore made sure that Connecticut would not suffer the same fate that the last No. 1 team did when playing Louisiana State.
Moore scored 18 of her game-high 29 points in the second half and Tina Charles added 18 as top-ranked Connecticut held on for a 74-69 victory over No. 6 LSU on Monday.
With the win, the Huskies (27-1) snapped the Tigers' 14-game winning streak, which had included a 78-62 triumph at then-No. 1 Tennessee on February 14.
Connecticut led by as many as 12 points with 7:30 left in the first half before settling for a 34-28 advantage at the break.
LSU (23-4) used a 12-0 spurt midway through the second half to take a 57-55 lead with 7:57 to play but Moore responded later in the half with a pair of free throws and a 3-pointer to put Connecticut back in front, 65-61, with 4:42 remaining.
Down by three with 10 seconds to play, the Tigers had one last chance to tie but Quianna Chaney's 3-pointer was off the mark and Moore made two free throws to seal the victory.
Sylvia Fowles had 26 points and 11 rebounds and Chaney scored 22 for LSU, which was outrebounded, 39-25.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (1) 34 40 74
LSU (6) 28 41 69 FINAL
Feb 25 8:58 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(1) CONNECTICUT 34
(6) LSU 28 HALFTIME
Feb 25 7:47 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2