Swanier caps huge rally to lift Connecticut past DePaulMar 2, 2008 - 4:07 AM CHICAGO (Ticker) -- Ketia Swanier's layup with just over one second to play capped top-ranked Connecticut's huge second-half rally and lifted the Huskies to a 77-76 victory over DePaul in a Big East Conference thriller on Saturday.
Renee Montgomery scored 23 points and freshman Maya Moore had 16 and 13 rebounds for the Huskies (28-1, 14-1 Big East), who were down, 56-39, with 15:06 left to play.
But Connecticut slowly chipped away, using a 14-5 run to cut the deficit to 68-64 with 5:16 remaining. Montgomery later put the Huskies in front, 72-70, on a 3-pointer with 3:22 left before DePaul fought back and took a 76-74 advantage on a jumper by Allie Quigley with 30 seconds to play.
Montgomery made one free throw to cut the Blue Demons' lead to one, and after a steal by Moore, Swanier converted a layup with 1.6 seconds left to give Connecticut the win.
Swanier finished with nine points in the game for the Huskies, who moved into a first-place tie with Rutgers (14-1) atop the Big East with a showdown at home against the Scarlet Knights taking place on Monday.
Quigley finished with 27 points and Deirdre Naughton added 19 off the bench for DePaul (18-10, 7-8), which has lost three straight games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (1) 35 42 77
DEPAUL 47 29 76 FINAL
Mar 1 10:10 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(1) CONNECTICUT 35
DEPAUL 47 HALFTIME
Mar 1 8:54 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2