Washington spoils California's Pac-10 title hopesMar 3, 2008 - 1:32 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Sami Whitcomb poured in 24 points to lead a balance attack as Washington stunned ninth-ranked California with Sunday's 74-66 victory in a Pac-10 Conference battle.
Laura McLellan scored 13 points and Emily Florence had 11 and 11 rebounds for the Huskies (13-17, 8-10 Pac-10), who put an end to California's conference title dreams.
With the loss, the Bears (24-5, 15-3) failed to earn a share of their first regular-season crown in school history. Rival Stanford (16-2), who posted a 22-point win over Washington State earlier, claimed the conference title.
Alexis Gray-Lawson netted 17 points and Lauren Grief chipped in 14 for California, which shot just 41 percent (26-of-62) from the field.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CALIFORNIA (9) 29 37 66
WASHINGTON 33 41 74 FINAL
Mar 2 7:34 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(9) CALIFORNIA 29
WASHINGTON 33 HALFTIME
Mar 2 6:14 PM
- Washington coach Mike Neighbors signs contract extension May 13
- Washington women crack under Syracuse pressure, 80-59 Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Washington relishing NCAA tourney run to Sweet 16 Mar 23