No. 10 Miami beats Virginia Tech by 31Jan 24, 2012 - 2:57 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Stefanie Yderstrom scored a game-high 22 points and No. 10 Miami-Florida dominated Virginia Tech, 79-48, on Monday.
Shenise Johnson, who was honored before the game for scoring her 2,000th career point, had 18 points and six steals for Miami (17-3, 6-1 ACC).
Shawnice Wilson contributed 12 points and five rebounds for the Hurricanes, who have won six straight games.
Monet Tellier led the Hokies (6-14, 2-5) with 18 points and Aerial Wilson added 15 but it wasn't enough as Virginia Tech dropped its fifth straight.
The Hurricanes opened the game on a 15-1 run and never looked back.
Their defense held the Hokies to 18 points in the first half on 6-of-27 shooting (22.2 percent), including 0-for-10 from three-point range, and they took a 42-18 lead into the break.
The second half was much of the same with Virginia Tech shooting a woeful 9- for-28 from the field. The Hokies were never able to cut into the Hurricanes' 24-point halftime lead as Miami went on to a wire-to-wire victory.
The Hokies will look to get back on track in their next game at Maryland while the Hurricanes play host to Wake Forest. Both games are Thursday.
- Virginia Tech hires James Madison's Brooks as women's coach Mar 28
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- BC beats Virginia Tech 49-37 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28
- No. 10 Louisville beats No. 17 Miami 79-51 Feb 25
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- No. 3 Notre Dame women rout No. 19 Miami 90-69 Feb 14
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11