Sanu leads Rutgers past Fla. International 19-14Sep 12, 2010 - 5:12 AM MIAMI(AP) -- Mohamed Sanu threw for one touchdown and ran for another and Joe Lefeged had a career night on defense to help Rutgers overcome sluggish play and beat Florida International 19-14 on Saturday night.
Sanu scored the game-winning touchdown with 13:07 left in the game while Lefeged, Rutgers' starting strong safety, had an interception, forced two fumbles and blocked two punts.
Sanu lined up as the "wildcat" quarterback and rushed for a 24-yard score that erased a 14-13 FIU lead. He finished the game with only 45 yards rushing on nine carries but was also pivotal in getting Rutgers into the end zone before halftime.
With 5:23 to go in the second quarter, Sanu threw a 24-yard touchdown to D.C. Jefferson on fourth-and-2, giving the Scarlet Knights (2-0) a 10-7 lead.
That play came four plays after Lefeged intercepted FIU quarterback Wesley Carroll and returned the ball to the FIU 32-yard line.
Carroll debuted for the Panthers (0-1) after transferring from Mississippi State two years ago. He threw an interception on his first play but settled down and went 12-for-22 for 166 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.
Carroll threw a screen to Wayne Times that resulted in a 28-yard touchdown and gave FIU a 7-3 lead with 1:41 to go in the first quarter. FIU took the lead again with 13:16 left in the third quarter when Carroll threw a fade into the right end zone to Jeremiah Harden for a 17-yard score.
The Panthers had 371 yards of offense to Rutgers' 172 yards, but FIU had five turnovers in the game and tallied 14 penalties for 126 yards.
FIU lost its sixth-straight season opener.
- NCAAF FINAL
1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
RUTGERS 3 10 0 6 19
FIU 7 0 7 0 14 FINAL
1ST QUARTER: RUTGERS - FG, SAN SAN TE 43 YD, 5:32.
FIU - TD, WAYNE TIMES 28 YD PASS FROM
WESLEY CARROLL (JACK GRIFFIN
KICK), 13:19. FIU 7-3
2ND QUARTER: RUTGERS - TD, D.C. JEFFE
Sep 11 11:25 PM
FIU 14 0:00 LEFT, 4TH QTR
Sep 11 11:25 PM
MOHAMED SANU 24 YD RUN
(TWO-POINT PASS CONVERSION FAILED)
FIU 14 13:14 LEFT, 4TH QTR
Rutgers 19, FIU 14 4th - 13:07Sep 11 10:46 PM
FIU 14 0:00 LEFT, 3RD QTR
Sep 11 10:36 PM
FIU 14 13:16 LEFT, 3RD QTR
Rutgers 13, FIU 14 3rd - 13:16Sep 11 10:02 PM
FIU 7 0:00 LEFT, 2ND QTR
Sep 11 9:34 PM
FIU 7 1:00 LEFT, 2ND QTR
Rutgers 13, FIU 7 2nd - 1:00Sep 11 9:27 PM
FIU 7 5:23 LEFT, 2ND QTR
Rutgers 10, FIU 7 2nd - 5:23Sep 11 9:14 PM
FIU 7 0:00 LEFT, 1ST QTR
Sep 11 8:48 PM
FIU 7 1:41 LEFT, 1ST QTR
Rutgers 3, FIU 7 1st - 1:41Sep 11 8:45 PM
FIU 0 9:28 LEFT, 1ST QTR
Rutgers 3, FIU 0 1st - 9:28Sep 11 8:16 PM
- Taking note: Ash brings bits of Bielema and Meyer to Rutgers May 12
- Ash bringing order back to Rutgers' scandal marred football Apr 25
- Big Ten East loses top stars, but new ones are set to emerge Apr 14
- Fast track: Early enrollment now common in college football Apr 9
- Chris Ash opens first spring practice at Rutgers as coach Mar 24
- Comeback trail: Chubb, Russell among rehabbing spring stars Feb 24
- 'Right fit' is the sell in B10 recruiting, sideshow or not Feb 5
- ACC football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Ohio St., Michigan classes show most star power in Big Ten Feb 3
- Big Ten football recruiting team capsules Feb 3
- Chris Ash welcomes his first recruiting class to Rutgers Feb 3
- Drew Mehringer ready to be Rutgers offensive coordinator Jan 28